Research materials at the NJH & GC:
• Electronic databases and collections, including Ancestry, Heritage Quest, Findmypast, Fold3, and many more
• Directories, guidebooks and bibliographies
• Family histories, genealogical records, and state, county, and local histories. (Published books and unpublished manuscripts)
• Family papers, personal scrapbooks, and local organizational records
• Genealogical indexes and resources
• Historic preservation materials
• How-to books on methods for genealogical research
• Land record materials
• Landscape and architectural drawings
• Microform collections include New Jersey state census schedules, historical newspapers, manuscript collections, naturalization petitions, and other research materials. (Please note that in some census reels, the entries are faint and hard to read. Legibility varies from page to page.)
• Miscellaneous manuscripts (including deeds, letters, and ephemera)
• Newspapers - digitized, microfilm, and on paper. Many include indexes.
• Online Collections, (photographic images, postcards, maps, art)
• Vertical files on Morris County surnames, New Jersey towns and counties, events, organizations and institutions that include newspaper clippings, brochures, correspondence, and other printed ephemera.
• Indexes to wills and passenger and immigration lists
• Rare books, including material dating from the mid sixteenth century, with select fragments from the late fifteenth century.
• The Tomlinson Civil War Book Collection: a collection of approximately 1,000 volumes of Civil War research material donated by Norman B. Tomlinson, Jr., supplemented by additional items in the History Center.
• Works by and about New Jersey artists and writers:
Thomas Nast, Bret Harte,
Homer Davenport, Dorothy Kunhardt,
John DePol, Michael Aaron Rockland,
Arthur Burdett Frost, Frank Stockton,
Annette Hanna, Nathaniel Parker Willis,
Lucille Hobbie, Lee Wyndham,
Frank Waller, Grant Wright