• Published books and unpublished manuscripts of family histories, genealogical records, and state, county, and local histories.
• Journals, magazines and newsletters on New Jersey history, genealogy, book collecting and historic preservation.
• Electronic databases and collections.
• Newspapers - digitized, microfilm, and on paper. Many include indexes.
• Genealogical indexes and resources.
• Indexes to wills and passenger and immigration lists.
• City directories for New Jersey & New York city.
• Microform collections include New Jersey state census schedules, historical newspapers, manuscript collections, naturalization petitions, and other research materials. (Please note that in some census reels, the entries are faint and hard to read. Legibility varies from page to page.)
• Vertical files on Morris County surnames, New Jersey towns and counties, events, organizations and institutions that include newspaper clippings, brochures, correspondence, and other printed ephemera.
• Family papers, personal scrapbooks, and local organizational records.
• Directories, guidebooks and bibliographies.
• How-to books on methods for genealogical research.
• Inventory of postcards.
• Maps and surveys.
• Miscellaneous manuscripts (including deeds, letters, programs, receipts, pamphlets and invitations).
• Architectural and landscape drawings.
• Digital Collections, (photographic images, postcards, maps, art)
• Rare books, including material dating from the mid sixteenth century, with select fragments from the late fifteenth century.
• The Tomlinson Civil War Book Collection: a collection of approximately 1,000 volumes of Civil War research material donated by Norman B. Tomlinson, Jr., supplemented by additional items in the History Center.
• Works by and about New Jersey artists and writers:
Thomas Nast, Bret Harte,
Homer Davenport, Dorothy Kunhardt,
John DePol, Michael Aaron Rockland,
Arthur Burdett Frost, Frank Stockton,
Annette Hanna, Nathaniel Parker Willis,
Lucille Hobbie, Lee Wyndham,
Frank Waller, Grant Wright